Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dipping in the Shake and Bake, Honey

Logan is well into his second week at the AAOL and three weeks on Risperal. He seems to be settling into his new routine without much drama, though everything is just so ridiculous to him. Getting up is ridiculous, the clothes he wears are ridiculous, the color yellow... it's all ridiculous. Of course, asking him why is pointless. Don't you know, new things are just absurd bullshit. His words, not mine. He is so raw and honest, and leaves me with my mouth hanging open more than shut. I hardly know what to say, and really do not want to fight that battle. Besides, is he wrong? New shoes are always so damn uncomfortable, and such is life for Logan.

We all have new names in my shoebox. I've become Honey Girl, Connor is Ian, and poor Morgan is Williams. I have no idea why- but Logan has decided we all need new identities. Connor plays along without a hitch, and I really don't mind. Who doesn't occasionally wish they were someone else? It's funny how we all shift and turn to fit into the puzzles he creates. It's an unspoken rule. We buckle and fold to make things as easy as possible. Life in our family is human origami.

Last night he told me I made a "fabulous dinner for our strong family" which really made me stop and think. For starters, it was shake and bake. Beyond that, it's interesting how he perceives our family unit. Just when I have guilted myself to pieces for failing as a mother, Logan is right there to point out what works, even if it is out of wack. We're not necessarily the model, traditional bunch, and our world may be observed as chaos. It is what it is, but one thing is for certain... we are a strong family tossed in the shake and bake... and sometimes it is fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment